Thursday, July 1, 2010

Take Me Out to the Baaaaaaallllllll Game (esp if it's in San Francisco!)


A couple months ago, when Jet Blue was having one of those fantastic sales, Mark and I decided to go to San Francisco. More importantly, when the Red Sox would be playing the Giants. Yes, ladies, I've planned trips around concerts, shopping, and parades...this was my first ball game. And because of the Hollywood Bowl season, we had to be back before Sunday.

So here's how we managed to eat, drink, and be merry for thirty-two hours:

10:30 am:

Mark swore by the food at Dottie's True Blue Cafe. Warned me there would be a line and we would probably wait an hour. He was right. But man, was it delicious. I went a little carb crazy - how could you not? Black bean cakes, I'm in. Share some blueberry-cornmeal cakes, don't mind if I do. Food made with love. Worth all the calories, honest. I think I even used REAL sugar in my coffee.

1:00pm:
We dropped our bags off at the Hotel Adagio and headed to Union Square. Since it was extra chilly at noon, and knowing we were seeing a night game, I convinced Mark we had to go to Neimans to buy a sweater. In reality, it was so I could have a popover. Found a thin layering T on the rounder and a seat at the bar. Two sidecars later, the popover arrived. With a view of Union Square and strawberry jam melting on the hot pastry, we spent a couple hours taking in the customers and enjoying the booze.

5:30pm:

This may be one of the best ball parks for location, location, location. And the only time I've seen a game where I wish I was wearing North Face. Man, Chilly! We arrived early enough to watch batting practice, wave to the kayakers in the bay, and walk around the stadium.

We wore Red Sox hats to represent the nation (and to regulate our core temperatures). Even after my veggie dog and cinnamon walnuts (okay, and Irish coffee) I was becoming a human popsicle. We lasted six innings. The Red Sox were loosing and I couldn't feel my feet. I even passed up a Flashmob Michael Jackson Dance Party so I could be back in the hotel to watch the ninth inning on TV.

Our first day was great. Our second day...dare I say, even better? Stay tuned.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a super fun day full of good food and fun. Cinnamon walnuts sound delish! Can't wait to see how your 2nd day was!

    ReplyDelete